Rss Feed
  1. Fail and Win

    Tuesday 15 June 2010

    Over the last few days, I've had some issues of serious failure cross my path. Some of them got me so riled up that I feel I need to share them. 

    First up, the rather wonderful Kelly over at Diabetesaliciousness™ came across something really rather rage inducing. 

    Read about her encounter with a completely ignorant book at her local pharmacy, which infuriates me both as a diabetic, and as a Christian. I believe anyone with any kind of faith, or any kind of conscience for that matter will get seriously enraged by this. Kelly is also encouraging everyone to try and get this awful book removed from shops. Please go and get involved, particularly if you're US based. They will listen to us if enough of us complain.

    Secondly, she's not the only one talking about this right now, but Amy Tenderich of DiabetesMine is talking about the ruling that only 'trained' nurses are going to be allowed to inject insulin in certain US states - what happens in schools where there are no nurses? It seems utterly ridiculous, and also incredibly dangerous.

    Diabetes UK are also, amongst others, trying to highlight the plight of parents in the UK who have been forced to give up work in order to care for their children with Type 1. Schools in question, hang your heads in shame!

    Now, as a form of counter balance, here are some moments of win from online, which have also crossed my path!

    Cara from Every Day, Every Hour, Every Minute is doing a giveaway of some amazing carb-free cupcakes! OK, they're actually crayons, but they're pretty awesome all the same. They definitely look good enough to eat!

    Ginger Vieira's site Living In Progress has caught my eye. She does Life Coaching for people with chronic illnesses and health problems. As soon as my laptop has been repaired/new one has been purchased, and my Skype is working again, I'm looking forward to having a consult!
    Diabetic Feed is back! After a fairly long hiatus, they're back in business with podcasts about diabetes news and the online community. Definitely worth a download!

    Not wholly diabetes related, but I've been enjoying reading posts from John Schumann over at his blog, Glass Hospital. His blog is all about 'demystifying medicine one week at a time'. 
    With demystifying medicine in mind, my own little plug is for my new article, 10 Tips For Living With Type 1 Diabetes at Health And Life Stuff, who are all about explaining complex medical things.

    Finally, it's Diabetes Week here in the UK! See what Diabetes UK are up to and what they have to say.


  2. 4 comments:

    1. Rachel said...

      Great round-up of the good and bad!

    2. Mike Hoskins said...

      Agreed- great roundup of what's happening out there. Wrote about the school nurse issue myself today, and am pretty enraged about that and the CVS Book that Kelly is advocating against. Lots of work we have to do, both in the U.S. and U.K. and everwhere! Keep up the good fight, especially there during D-Week!

    3. k2 said...

      Great round-up of the fabulous and not so!
      Thanks for including my posts - I appreciate it!
      Mike, the book that is available in various pharmacies in the US, not just CVS! I originally found it at The Shoprite pharmacy and then it followed me to CVS!
      Kelly K

    4. Cara said...

      Becky, thanks for the shout out! :) Contest ends tomorrow, I'm so excited to pick a winner! :)

    Post a Comment