Rss Feed
  1. Advocacy

    Sunday 2 August 2009

    Greetings all.

    So I've just been away for a week with work. Every year my work runs a Summer Theatre School, which has about 100 people living in a boarding school for a week doing all kinds of theatre courses. All staff help run this, so that's where I've been, and why it's been on the quiet side.

    Interesting though, was that on the Friday before this all kicked off, I had booked myself a (very) long overdue appointment to get my hair cut. Now, I'm a real cheapskate, and I don't like paying to get my hair cut if I'm not getting any major restyling done, but I decided for once to indulge myself a little bit. So, off I go, and I'm chatting away with the chap as he's cutting, and we were talking about my work, and how we're doing a big fundraising effort in September. I told him about the parachute jump that was going to happen, and how I'd considered doing it, but that I was probably not going to be able to do it. He obviously asked why, and I told him that I had T1 diabetes, and that they like you to have good control and not have a lot of hypos before they'll let you jump. Lo and behold, it turned out his 15 year old cousin had been diagnosed T1 a few months ago, and was really having a hard time of it. Poor bloke really wanted to know how he could help him, and though he was pretty well informed, naturally had lots of questions. So I answered as best I could, and gave him my email. I hope that was the right thing to do, and wasn't me doing something that wasn't my place.

    In other news, I'm thinking it might be time for the lantus again. For the most part, my numbers have been raised. Luckily though, I've got clinic at the end of the month, and I'll be able to talk that through then. I've also had my appointment letter for my retinal screening come through. Ironically, just the day before a letter came from SpecSavers, saying it had been two years since my last eye exam, and that regular eye exams can be crucial in detecting things like diabetes...

    xx

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment